Getting your Concealed Carry Permit doesn’t have to be complicated. Just follow this simple 5-step guideline and you are well on your way to joining the ranks of the most well-armed state in the Union. That’s right, Texas may be BIGGER, but at nearly 1.4 million law-abiding, licensed carriers, Florida is definitely BADDER. So, strap up! Here we go…
Step 1: DETERMINE YOUR ELIGIBILITY
To obtain your Concealed Carry Permit, you must…
- Be a US Citizen or Legal Resident Alien. (Note that Florida will issue permits to residents from any state in the US)
- Never have had your firearms rights taken from law enforcement/the court system.
- Be at least 21 years of age. HOWEVER, as a ‘thank you’ to our Armed Forces, everyone who serves or has honorably served in the Military is eligible to carry at the age of 18.
- If you’re still not sure you’re eligible, take the FDACS pretest HERE.
Step 2: GET QUALIFIED
- Successfully complete an approved Firearms Safety Course with an NRA Certified instructor, to include demonstrating competency handling a firearm. (HINT: Ours is pretty AWESOME and its FREE right now!)
- Veterans with a DD214 are not required to show completion of a Firearms Safety Course, however, it is highly recommended as an excellent way to learn about PERSONAL safety and the rules and restrictions that go along with it.
- Sign up here for your FREE Concealed Carry class with Florida Gun Supply! (Normally $85)
Step 3: GET FINGERPRINTED
- At almost any local Sheriff’s Office or Police Department, for a small fee.
- Some counties give you the option to submit them electronically for an additional few dollars more (payable online only directly to FDLE). USE THIS SERVICE WHENEVER POSSIBLE (it will save you time and money in the long run). Call ahead to see if this service is available.
Step 4: COMPLETE THE PAPERWORK
- Correctly fill out the application.
- Get a passport photo taken.
- Include a CHECK or MONEY ORDER for you license fee (payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services ).
- GREAT NEWS! While the DMV can do all this for you at the tune of over $100 dollars, but FGS offers a Photo and Application Look-Over service for only $20 bucks! With that, you will get your photographs as well as our personal step-by-step guidance throughout the application process. Sign up NOW for your FREE Concealed Carry class take advantage of this affordable alternative to the DMV nightmare. (You’ll save time, money and have a lot more fun!)
Step 5: MAIL THE PACKET
- Verify that you have completely filled out the application.
- Complete the checklist on the envelope to ensure you include ALL supporting documents (fingerprint card or receipt, completed & signed application, class certificate and/or DD214, passport-type photo, check or money order for license fee and fingerprint processing fee, if you did not submit electronically).
- Physically take to the Post Office so that you can get a receipt. (Certified mail is not a bad option either.)
- AGAIN, if you choose to use our Look-Over Assistance Services, you can bring all your documents in to us and we will review them one last time before you send them.
THAT’S IT! Your permit will be mailed back to you upon processing by the State (typically 60-90 days). For more detailed information on how to obtain your Concealed Carry Permit go to www.getyourpermit.com and download our FREE full guide.
We hope you find this information useful. If you still have questions, try visiting the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ FAQ page HERE. We look forward to seeing you at one of our FREE Concealed Carry classes, but whatever you do, we encourage you to:
Get Armed, Get Trained and Carry Daily!
LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC