M&P Shield .40S&W: Another Great Gun by Smith & Wesson!
The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40 cal is definitely one of the best selling guns in America right now. We’re super lucky to have them for sale at our online gun store!
The M&P Shield .40 is a great carry gun. Being the same size as the 9mm Shield, the slim frame makes this gun super concealable. The Shield 40 has an excellent trigger pull – similar to that of the entire M&P series.
Shield 40 Quick Stats:
- Comes with 2 single-stack magazines (6+1 or 7+1 capacity)
- Thumb safety
- Trigger safety
- The adjustable sights on the Shield .40 are excellent
The teardown process of the Shield is very simple just like the other M&P Series pistols. It features the standard rolling takedown pin and can be disassembled and reassembled in less than a minute.
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40 Field Strip
1. Check to make sure that the firearm is cleared:
- Remove the magazine
- Check to make sure there is not a round in the chamber
2. Lock back the slide using the slide stop
3. Rotate the take down pin clockwise 90 degrees
4. Release the slide
5. Pull the trigger to release the slide from the frame(the slide will jolt forward slightly)
6. Remove the slide completely from the frame and set the frame to the side
7. Take out the recoil spring:
- Grab the rear of the spring and push it towards the muzzle
- Pull up slightly on the rear of the spring and lift it out
8. Remove the barrel:
- Push the barrel slightly forward
- Grab the chamber portion of the barrel
- Pull up and back for removal
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40: Thumb Safety or No Thumb Safety?
The Smith & Wesson Shield .40 (and the Shield 9mm!) have two options: WITH or WITHOUT a thumb safety.
The question of thumb safety or no thumb safety is entirely up to you, but here are some things to think about.
Shield Thumb Safety Pros:
- You have less of a chance to shoot yourself (or others!)
- Reduced accidental discharges
- Ease of mind (you KNOW the gun isn’t going to go off!)
Shield Thumb Safety Cons:
- Unless you practice constantly, this could interfere with you saving your life in combat someday
- Takes an extra second or two to fire under pressure
Remember: If you purchase the version WITH the thumb safety, you can always carry with the safety OFF if you desire – but if you purchase the Shield .40 with no safety, you don’t have an option.